The Dubai Emirate features glittering skyscrapers, a gorgeous skyline, state-of-the-art architectural marvels, a rich cultural heritage, and great traditions that oozes off in several places in Dubai. The Dubai deserts are home to the best-kept secrets of Dubai that are vying to be uncovered by the tourist population. Discover amazing facts about the Bedouin culture and get a sneak peek into their lifestyle in this massive desert terrain. The best part is that the desert safari is for people of all ages, as there are several best things to do on a desert safari with kids as well. If you are looking to explore the Dubai desert terrains for the first time, there are some key points that you should note to make this a truly memorable journey. The points collated by us will help you uncover amazing cultural aspects of Bedouin life and give you unique experiences that you would have never experienced in your lifetime.
Why Should You Choose Desert Safari Dubai?
Dubai is popular for its luxurious lifestyle and modern architecture, but it also offers an unforgettable adventure in the form of a desert safari. Here are some compelling reasons why you must consider a desert safari in Dubai:
- Unique experience: A desert safari in Dubai is a unique experience that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. You will get to experience the beauty of the desert, the thrill of dune bashing, and the culture of the Bedouin people.
- Adventure: A desert safari in Dubai is an adventure like no other. You will get to ride a 4×4 vehicle on the sand dunes, try sandboarding, and even ride a camel.
- Natural beauty: The desert is a beautiful place, and a desert safari in Dubai is a great way to appreciate its natural beauty. You will see stunning sunsets, starry skies, and experience the tranquility of the desert.
- Cultural experience: A desert safari in Dubai is also a great way to experience the culture of the Bedouin people who have lived in the desert for centuries. You will get to visit a Bedouin camp, enjoy a traditional Arabic meal, and watch cultural performances.
- Photography opportunities: The desert provides some of the most stunning backdrops for photography, and a desert safari in Dubai will provide ample opportunities to capture these beautiful moments.
Types of Dubai Desert Safari
Basis your taste, preference, and requirements, you can opt for the morning, evening, and overnight desert safari. Each safari on a 4×4 desert terrain air-conditioned vehicle offers magnificent views and a thrilling set of activities and is loaded with plenty of entertainment all through the journey. All Dubai Desert Safaris provide a pickup and drop-off to your hotel or any other place of your convenience.
Morning Dubai Desert Safari
This tour kicks off at 4:30 am in the heart of the Grand Arabian Desert. Catch hold of the spectacular views of the sunrise among very few crowds in the desert. Then, enjoy an amazing set of desert sports before the harsh hot sunsets. Some must-try activities are hot air balloon rides, scrumptious breakfast with Arabic coffee, traditional sweets, and dates in a Bedouin-type desert camp. For all the early birds, this tour is the perfect recipe.
Evening Dubai Desert Safari
This tour kicks off post-lunch around 3 to 4 pm. First, explore the amazing wildlife in the desert and indulge in several special activities like falconry, sand skiing, sandboarding, quad biking, and dune bashing. Next, you can enjoy a camel ride at the desert camp as you navigate the fine dunes. Post that, you can enjoy cultural activities like applying henna on your hands & legs, clicking a photograph in traditional Arabic attire, superb belly dancing performances, and feasting on a delicious barbecue dinner.
Overnight Dubai Desert Safari
This tour starts close to sunset, and a full range of entertainment and cultural activities await you in the heart of the grand Arabian desert. Over the next 12 hours, you will enjoy live performances, a delightful barbecue dinner, and a unique camping-style tent where you will spend a night under the starlit sky. Finally, take some rest overnight and wake up to the fresh smell of Arabic coffee before winding your tour.
Dubai Desert Safari cost
You will get different variations in the Dubai Desert Safari based on the indulgences and activities you opt for as part of your journey and the length of your tour. There are several budget-friendly options, starting from AED 36 onwards per person, with a hotel pickup and drop off. The cost would subsequently increase as you add more activities and experiences to your tour. For an elegant, rich, and royal experience in the grand Arabian desert, you can get your package from AED 367 onwards per person. Spend a romantic date, celebrate an occasion, or bask in the royal retreat in the desert.
Best Time for a Dubai Desert Safari
The months between November and March bring in milder afternoons perfect for a desert safari. As the weather is pleasant, you are bound to get more crowds. The late evenings and nights bring in a little chill much lower than you will experience in the main city. Avoid the summer months if you are not used to the Dubai heat. Due to very few crowds, many tour operators don’t provide the Dubai Desert Safari tours in the summer months.
Tips to Choose the Best Dubai Desert Safari
Choosing the best desert safari in Dubai can be a bit overwhelming, given the variety of options available. Here are some tips to assist you in making an informed decision:
- Research the different types of desert safaris: There are several types of desert safaris available in Dubai, including morning, evening, overnight, and private safaris. Each type offers a unique experience, so it is essential to research and decide which one is best suited for you.
- Look for a reputable tour operator: Do your research and choose a reputable tour operator that has positive reviews and feedback from previous customers. A reliable tour operator will provide you with a well-planned itinerary, professional guides, and quality vehicles.
- Check the inclusions: Before booking a desert safari, make sure to check what is included in the package. The inclusions vary depending on the type of safari you choose, but they may include activities such as dune bashing, camel riding, sandboarding, belly dancing, and a BBQ dinner.
- Compare prices: It is always a good idea to compare prices from different tour operators to ensure you are getting the absolute value for your money. However, keep in mind that the cheapest option may not always be the best, so prioritize the quality of the experience over the cost.
- Consider the timing: The best time to do a desert safari in Dubai is during the cooler months, between October and April. If you are planning to visit during the summer months, make sure to choose a morning or evening safari when the temperatures are relatively cooler.
- Ask for recommendations: If you are unsure about which tour operator to choose, ask for recommendations from friends or family members who have previously done a desert safari in Dubai.
- Go to the right desert: Are there types of deserts? Yes, Dubai has different types of sand, from red and golden to fossil letting you rustle the wheels on the desert that you like. So, while booking the excursion, know how to choose the best safari location in Dubai.
Do’s & Don’ts of Desert Safari Dubai
When venturing into the grand Arabian desert, photos are a must, so either bring your phone or your camera to capture these precious moments. In addition, sunscreen lotion, sunglasses, a bottle of water for hydration, and sanitiser are key essentials to pack when travelling to the deserts of Dubai.
Desert dressing code
You can wade up the glitzy nature of Dubai city in the desert. The desert landscape expects you to wear breathable and lightweight clothes that will permit you to indulge in Desert sports and activities easily. Also, wear clothes that will provide you protection from the scorching sun. If you are venturing into the desert during late evenings and nights, do carry some warm clothes as it is chilly compared to the main Dubai city. For footwear, wear something that will be easy for you to clean up as you navigate through the desert terrain. The fine sand gravel can easily get into footwear, keeping you very uncomfortable on your journey.
Research about your tour operator well before finalization
The Dubai Desert Safari is one of the most anticipated journeys people undertake in their lifetime, so let is not spoiled because of the tour operator’s poor facilities and bad reputation. Research well and read the customer reviews well, and don’t go by just word-of-mouth recommendations. This journey can change your entire perception of the Desert landscape.
Carry First Aid Kit and Medicines
Be sure to be prepared for vomiting and nausea if you are going to the Dubai desert safari. That is because becoming sick on this tour is indeed a common experience. The climate is humid, which makes it uncomfortable for people who are susceptible to motion sickness. If you fall into this category, remember to carry your medication in order for you to enjoy the tour sans feeling uneasy. While travelling, it is a good idea to include a first aid kit, and this is particularly important when going on a Dubai Overnight Desert Safari. Bandages, antiseptic cream, painkillers, and sting relief should all be included in your box. Also, it is a wise decision to include materials for treating snake bites and blisters.
Things to Do in Desert Safari
You will experience several unique experiences in the Desert landscape as you leave the glitz and glamour of Dubai city far behind. The entire journey is in an air-conditioned desert terrain 4×4 vehicle. Get ready for some high-octane thrills as you venture into some adventurous stuff like dune bashing, quad biking, sandboarding, and dune buggy. Don’t miss the chance to spot some amazing wildlife in the desert like the gazelles, Arabian Oryx, camels, and desert eagle owl. If you may have missed it, don’t worry at the desert camp, take a camel ride, and enjoy the desert landscape like never before. Indulge in the several cultural activities on display at the desert camp that will match the taste and preferences of all global travellers. The meal at the desert camp is the ultimate icing on the cake as it features several tantalizing international and local barbecue delicacies. These are definitely some of the top reasons to try the desert safari in Dubai.
Dubai Desert Safari- Places to Visit in and Around
- Empty Quarter- Take a Liwa Safari to view Rub al Khali, also known as Empty Quarter, the largest sand desert in the world. There are 330 miles between it and Dubai.
- AI Khatim-Between Abu Dhabi & Al Ain, directly next to the E22, lie the lovely sands of Al Khatim. This is a fantastic location for a memorable off-road adventure. It is separated from Dubai by about 170 kilometers.
- AI Lahbab- Located around 50 kilometers outside of the city centre, this hidden treasure in Dubai. The enigmatic and captivating crimson sands of Sharjah are on the other part of Al Lahbab desert. You can opt for a hot air balloon ride into the Desert Conservation Reserve in Dubai to witness some of the native plants and animals of the area, some of which are on the verge of extinction. It is more than 225 kilometers long and is located roughly 60 kilometers from Dubai.
- AI Aweer- It is among the nicest and most well-liked desert safari locations in Dubai. It has a border with the Ras Al Khor and is located about 40 kilometers from the city centre. Moreover, Emirates Road (E611) & E612 are nearby.