Dubai is a complete holiday package packed with sightseeing, adventure, luxury, great food and an amazing culture. As the city offers so much, it has become one of the most popular destinations amongst tourists all around the world. One of the touristy things to do here is the desert safari. The desert safari Dubai takes you away from the chaos of the city to the peace and quietude of the desert. However, the desert safari is not just about admiring the beauty of the desert or getting to know about the interesting Bedouin culture. On the other hand, it is packed with an amazing array of adventurous activities, the best being dune bashing.
What is Dune Bashing?
Dune bashing is an off-roading activity done in a 4×4 vehicle. What once started as a recreational activity for the Emirat is is now the ultimate adventure for tourists. As the heavy vehicle zooms in and around the high and low sand dunes of the Dubai desert, you would get the feeling of being on a roller coaster ride. With so much of skidding, slipping and sliding happening during the ride, the dune bashing is definitely not for the faint-hearted.
What to Expect during Dune Bashing?
Dune bashing is usually the first activity of a desert safari. It is available in both morning and evening desert safaris. As you reach the outskirts of the desert after being picked up from your hotel by a company car, you would be asked to dismount the vehicle. The tyres of the vehicle are deflated to get more traction on the uneven sand dunes. After this, you would be asked to get into the vehicle and get ready for this amazing adventure.
In most cases, unless you are a professional and experienced driver, you would not get to drive the vehicle for your dune bashing adventure. Instead, you would have to sit in one of the passenger seats. Safety is of utmost importance when it comes to dune bashing. So, make sure you fasten your seat belts on hold on to the seats as tightly as possible. An important thing to note that most vehicles used for dune bashing would be equipped with protective gear like roll cages. Once all the passengers in the vehicle are ready, the driver starts the car and takes you to the experience of a lifetime.
Desert Safari after Dune Bashing
The dune bashing session lasts for around 20-30 minutes, depending on the comfort level of the passengers. At the end, you are driven to the desert camp, where several other activities await you. After enjoying your welcome drink, you can indulge in activities like quad biking, camel riding and sandboarding. Unlike dune bashing, sandboarding and quad biking can be done on your own. It is also a great spot to enjoy the beautiful sunset at the desert.
Once you are done with all the adventurous activities, you can retire into the desert camp, where you can enjoy some entertaining activities. Here, you can get your hands painted with henna, get pictures clicked wearing the traditional Arabic dress and even smoke a hokkah or shisha. However, the star highlight of the evening is the performances of the belly dancer and Tanoura dancer. Moreover, while you watch the splendid performances, you can dig into some delicious BBQ dinner, consisting of both Emirati and international cuisines. At the end, you would be driven back to your hotel. Note that there would be no dune bashing while driving back to the city.
Tips for Dune Bashing
Here are a few things to keep in mind before going for a dune-bashing ride:
- Have a light lunch before your dune-bashing trip. This would ensure that you do not get sick during the ride.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Lightweight, cotton clothes are best for dune bashing as well as for the desert safari. You can carry a cardigan or lightweight jacket for the cool evening at the desert.
- It is best to avoid socks and closed shoes. Sand can easily get into your shoes and socks, making it uncomfortable for you. It is best to wear sandals or flip-flops that can be easily cleaned.
- Avoid wearing any kind of heavy jewellery like danglers, necklaces, bangles, etc. You may hurt yourself or the person next to you.
- Dune bashing should be avoided by pregnant women, children under the age of 5 and people suffering from heart or back ailments.
- Do not forget to apply sunscreen before heading out to the desert, as the heat of the sun can be overwhelming for your skin. Also, make sure to keep yourself hydrated throughout the evening.
- Although most of the activities are included in your desert safari package, you must carry some cash if you want to buy some souvenirs or extra activities at the desert.
- Do not forget to pack your camera as the desert gives you the chance to take some awesome photos.
Dune bashing is gutsy and one of the most thrilling activities to do in Dubai. If you are an adventure junkie, the desert safari Dubai and dune bashing is something you should not miss during your holiday in the Emirate city.