In U.A.E., Dubai and Abu Dhabi are the obvious places where many people prefer to travel. However, if you land up in Sharjah, there are definitely some fascinating things to see and do. Located near the Persian Gulf, Sharjah is known for its rich culture which needs to be discovered. Known as the ‘Cultural Capital of the U.A.E.’, let’s look at some of the top things to do in Sharjah.
- Arabian Wildlife Centre – This centre deserves a lot of credit for preserving the precious Arabian natural wildlife. This place is best if you have young ones along with you. There are different regions inside the center where animals of different categories are kept. Snakes, reptiles, warm blooded animals such as cats, rodents, canines, primates, ungulates and large number of tiny bugs can be seen here. The centre has a treat for young ones where they can feed and nourish animals like horses, goats and giraffes.
- Central Market – One of Sharjah’s famous landmarks is the Central Market. It is also known as the ‘Blue Souk’ because of the blue color on the exterior. If you wish to experience traditional shopping then this is the place to be. Items such as jewelry, perfume, gold, clothing, electronics and other items are sold here. A must-visit place to see if you wish to get some awesome souvenirs.
- Sharjah Museum of Islamic Civilization – Visit the Sharjah Museum of Islamic Civilization to learn about the Arabic and Islamic Culture. You’ll find tons of Islamic arts and craftwork from 7th Century till the 19th Exhibits of clay, pottery, glass and handicrafts made of gold, silver and brass are some of the features of the museum. The museum also holds items of the ancient Abbasid and Umayyad eras.
- Sharjah Science Museum – The Sharjah Science Museum offers some of the best and fun activities to do, especially if you’re with young ones. It is divided into 4 regions consisting of – Static Electricity Show, Magic Show, Space Show and Physical Law Temperature Show. Each show offers activities which are suitable for all ages. Activities like holding a glass of water upside down where nothing dips out from the glass and grabbing the famous Van De Graaf generator and watching your hair stand are all must-experience.
- Sharjah Heritage Area – The Sharjah Heritage Area offers an experience which can only be done in Sharjah. It is an opportunity to explore and study traditional Arab homes of the desert. The place is perfectly restored in quality condition and guests are allowed to investigate and research the place completely with no restrictions. The structures of this iconic place are quite similar to the Al Midfa House which has its own wind tower.
- Sharjah Maritime Museum – Located off the Al Meena Street, the Maritime Museum signifies Sharjah’s link to the water. Witness the main highlights such as a traditional wooden dhow docked outside the museum and collection of pearls (as pearl collection and fishing was known to be the oldest economy here). Right next to the Maritime Museum is the Sharjah Aquarium which is also a good place to visit.
- Sharjah Aquarium – Sharjah Aquarium is a host to around 150 species of the sea which includes sea rays and reef sharks. This place is quite popular for families who bring their kids along for educational purposes. The interior of the aquarium is surreal with tube shaped tanks which allow you to see beautiful fish pass by from the top. There’s also a café called Sammach Café that serves teas, coffees and fried-crispy fish.
- Al Jazeera Park – The Al Jazeera Park is yet another top destination for families. The park is located on a small island next to the Khalid Lagoon, which offers perfect spot for outing, rich in greenery and away from busy streets of Sharjah. There are a few rides and activities which are suitable for all ages. You’ll also find bistros and fast-food joints who wish to have a peaceful lunch.
- Al Noor Island – This is a perfect place to be at for solitude seekers and those who wish to take some time out from shopping and museum exploring. The Al Noor Island is a public park created in Khalid Lagoon. The island is beautifully surrounded by modern arts and nature making your invitation a memorable one. One main feature of this island is the inclusion of butterfly house which comprises of over 500 beautiful species of butterflies.
Sharjah deserves a lot of credit because it has many top attractions which can only be experienced here. Take some time out and plan your visit to these amazing places mentioned above and you’ll surely have a great time.